Friday, October 2, 2009

Chicago to Air India to Bombay

I am sitting in the girls' room of the Chinai/Swamy apartment feeling welcome as only Indians can make you feel (as far as my encounters have proven). Dede's sleeping in the next room, Ruth and the girls are watching Kambakkht Ishq, a romantic comedy directed by Sabbir Khan, and Ayesha's in the living room with her mom.

Our flights here were just ridiculous. Eight or so hours from Chicago to Frankfurt, where Dede and I fruitlessly attempted to switch our flight to the direct flight to Bombay, rather than stopping over in Delhi which ended up costing us five hours worth of a delay. We made some friends along the way and created a ton of drawings during our time in transit.

Since then today's been pretty relaxed. We've all got mendi on our hands, we've taken lots of pictures and videos, and right now I'm learning how to cook dal, aloo mattar, rice, and chappatis.

Regrettably, we head to Bhopal tomorrow evening, not to return to Bombay until December at the latest (Christmas, baby!).

2 comments:

  1. Guys guys guys! GOOD LUCK! I hope that little sub-continent treats you well and you all survive and do well. I miss you and I wish you nothing but the best. I'm excited to hear your stories and adventures. Be safe. Keep in touch. Keep your cool. Click my blog ads. I love you guys. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are safe and sound.

    Be ready to spend some effort making the living quarters at the clinic habitable. You may want to bring some pantry food, skeeter nets and tp.

    Think of it as setting up shop at a poorly equipped cottage in Michigan.

    Love, D

    ReplyDelete